Migrant Education


What is the Migrant Education Program?

The Migrant Education Program (MEP) is a federally funded program, authorized by Part C of Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).  The Office of Migrant Education (OME) in the U.S. Department of Education is responsible for the Migrant Education Program.

The MEP provides supplemental services to migrant students to help them succeed in the regular school program, meet the challenging state academic content and student academic achievement standards that all children are expected to meet, and graduate from high school.


Who Qualifies? 

Children and youth whose families have moved to Perquimans County within the last three years in search of work in agriculture.  The MEP serves youth ages 3-21 who have not yet completed high school.

What does the word “migrant” mean?

A person who comes to Perquimans County seeking temporary or seasonal work in agriculture. This includes planting, picking, cultivating, harvesting, or packing agricultural products or working on a dairy farm or nursery.

Why does this Program exist?

Migrant work is by definition temporary or seasonal, creating difficulties for migrant families who move frequently. Students face significant barriers to education and healthcare, including:

  • Interrupted schooling due to frequent moves
  • Unfamiliarity with the U.S. or local educational system
  • Limited English proficiency 
  • Parents can't help with school assignments
  • Does not know where to go for help with social services and medical issues
What does the program offer eligible students?
  • Home visits to explain the program and connect the family to community resources
  • Interpreters for parent-teacher conferences and school or community events
  • Parent meetings to discuss ways to help students succeed in school
  • Academic help - which may include summer programs, tutoring and follow-up on student progress
  • School supplies and backpacks
  • Help finding health resources and transportation to medical appointments
  • Assistance in transferring records to new schools

Whom do I call to refer a family to the MEP or for more information?

Kanika Griffin, Chief Academic Officer of Student Services - (252)426-5741