Project Child Find

What is Project Child Find?

An effort coordinated by Perquimans County Schools and the Exceptional Children Division, State Department of Public Instruction, to:

  • Locate and identify children and youth ages birth through 21 with disabilities who are in need of special education and related services.
  • Inform parents and/or guardians of the services available from their local school system and other state and community agencies. 
Who are the Children?

Children and youth who have been diagnosed or are suspected to have intellectual, physical, or emotional disabilities and are unable to benefit from a regular school program without special assistance.

What Help is Available?
  • A complete evaluation and, if appropriate,
  • An Individualized Education Program for children with a disability beginning at age three
  • An Individual Family Service Plan for each child with a disability birth through 2, or
  • A referral to other agencies when needed.  
How Can I Help?

If you know of a child or youth with disabilities who is not in school or receiving special assistance, you can help by:

  • Encouraging the parent/guardian to contact the Superintendent, Chief Academic Officer of Student Services, Principal, or the Exceptional Children Division of the Department of Public Instruction, and
  • Lending support to the child and his/her parents/guardians until the referral is completed.
Why Should I Help?

A free appropriate public education is the right of every child with a disability, age 3 through 21. The law provides for early intervention services for children with a disability, birth through two years of age.

  • Parents of children and youth with disabilities need your support and assistance.
  • Your local school system and the Exceptional Children Division need your help in locating these children.
  • Without your help, children with disabilities may not be found


Project Child Find


For further information regarding Child Find or if you suspect your student may have a disability and need special education and/or related services, please contact:
Dr. Kanika Greer Griffin